Why I love Twitter - Reason #76

| |
So, last night I watched the American Music Awards along with the world of Twitter. As usual, it was waaayyyyy more entertaining sharing it with the Twitterati. Here were some of my favs from the show and Twitter:

The show opened with a Janet Jackson medley of tunes. It was a mess, in my opinion. Most of the tweets I saw thought her get-up was a little too MC Hammer-ish.




Daughtry started the American Idol segment, errrrr, was up next. It was one of the more understated performances of the night, for sure. Job well done in an otherwise crappy show. Twitter BUZZ? Stuff like this: 'This show sure is boring.' 'When is Whitney coming on?'

The blazingly hot Shakira performed "Give It Up to Me". As this number started, I was totally digging it. As it kept going, it started to feel like I was watching one long stripper step-show. I love the song & I thought she was HAWT:



But the performance? Meh. On Twitter, the breakdown was pretty gender-divided.

Keith Urban, little tiny cute dude, sang next. Again, a more subtle, laid-back and therefore tolerable performance. Plus, he's married to Nicole and he looks nice in a tight pair of jeans. There's that.

Kelly Clarkston performed next. She looked bored, perhaps slightly medicated? I worry that all the weight talk just drags her down. I like that song, truly. But ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Twitter BUZZ? The usual: Kelly's weight.

In one of the absolute BEST performances of the night, Alicia Keys & Jay-Z sang "Empire State of Mind." Twitter BUZZ? All good, like @AtlantaJJ said "Hova woke that dead crowd up!!!!" Others remarked: "It's about time this show had a good performance." Ms. Keys looked flawless and sang even better:


He looked pretty damn good too. (just sayin', Bey)

Next up: Black Eyed Peas did a medley. Highlight? Fergie shakin' the kitty for the whole world to see and surely saying something like, "So my hubby banged a skanky stripper? THIS is what he has at home and he did that??!! My husband is an idiot." Or something close to that.

Highly anticipated, though slightly disappointing, was the appearance of Rihanna. Ok, so she can't really sing live very well. I'll give you that. I don't care what ANY of you say, I thought this outfit was rockin' HAWT.


C'mon! It is WHITE, see-thru, skin-tight, and has horizontal lines!!!! WHO can wear that? I'll tell you who. Ri-Ri. Bonus: she had lasers shooting out of her shoulder pads. Pretty sure those were targeted directly at Chris Brown. Just sayin'. Twitter BUZZ: blah blah Chris Brown, blah blah, Brazilian wax, blah blah.

Next up on the American Idol AMA stage: Carrie Underwood performed in her underwear. I mean seriously. I love Carrie, but this is full of fashion FAIL.





In a much anticipated appearance, Lady GaGa displayed her penis and performed in yet ANOTHER weird get-up that screamed: 'I wanna be Grace Jones!'. I am not a Lady GaGa fan; this performance cemented that position. The piano on fire, the glass breaking, the neon light-up antelope head costume. DO.NOT.GET.THE.HYPE. Twitter BUZZ? Equally divided between: 1) 'what the FUCK is that?', and 2) 'Lady GaGa is the best thing in music since Madonna'. (HAR!)

After the 74th completely unnecessary crowd shot of Perez Hilton, we moved on to the good stuff. (But only temporarily; see next paragraph if you absolutely cannot wait). In another low-key (read: no dancers, light show, special effects, or simulated fellatio) performance, Mary J. Blige did what she always does: PERFORM. As in, sing ... live and shit.

The absolute WORST performance of the night: Jennifer "I am past my prime as a dancer" Lopez. Concept? Horrible. Dancing? Worse than lame. Singing? None. Performance? Ass-kicking ... as in falling on her ass.  PERFECTLY appropriate analogy to the performance. Truly. People like @GinaATL posted the video almost instantaneously. AWESOME for the West Coasters to see the glory of the ass-blast twice! wOOt!



After the diva wanna-be left the stage, a true diva returned! Whitney Houston performed "I Didn't Know My Own Strength". I thought it was pretty good, considering. The Twitter BUZZ wasn't so kind. Some of you were loving it, most were giving it high grades for determination and a classy comeback, but not exactly sterling reviews of her voice. Weirdest BUZZ? The 'is she pregnant?' question. Silly stuff, IMO. Good stuff extra bonus: She looked FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC.




Since once is never enough, we got to see Alicia Keys performing solo. The first half was kinda too production-y for me. I mean, just sit down and float on the piano and I'm good, Alicia. Oh, wait.... that's what the second half of the performance was all about. She came floating out into space on a platform ... playing a grand piano. WIN! Twitter BUZZ? A bunch of shit talking about her being a house wrecker. SMH.

Next up: Eminem & 50-Cent. On the one hand, it was nice to see them performing again. On the other hand, well .. there is no other hand. Nothing memorable. Most of the Twitter BUZZ was about Eminem NOT looking like a sausage singing into a microphone.

Some of the cattiest (yeeehawwww) stuff on Twitter all night was during the number by Timbaland, SoShy, and Nelly Furtado. Timbaland was a little *ahem* ... well ... *cough* ... ummmm ... husky. But the performance was pretty good, sort of an updated Thriller homage with a nod to Twilight. Nelly Furtado looked really great, but the Twitter BUZZ? Here's one example: @thewayoftheid: "I guess the clock struck midnight and turned Timbo's muscle back to fat." Such nastiness!


Green Day (ok .. the truth is I was taking a shower during this one, so I won't act like I can actually critique this one. Sorry.)

The final American Idol-overkill night was the much-hyped performance of Adam Lambert. Where do I start? It was a smorgasbord of censor-offending shock value theatrics. In fact, I can't even remember the song that well because I was trying to see how bad ride was going to get.

This was one of the tamer moments.

Something tells me he will never EVAH make it back to the American Idol stage. Pretty sure of that. Other highlights, crotch grabbing (his own and others), simulated head jobs (given & received), some sort of strange crotch pull of a pole dancer, and assorted screaming. (To be clear: I like Adam.) But it looked to me like he was going over the top just to be over the top. I, for one, wasn't offended. At least not at the gratuitousness. I just don't think he did himself any favors. But, c'est la vie. An artist is an artist. My fav Twitter BUZZ: @MacGeekGrl: "Congrats, Adam Lambert. You win the award for most egregiously homoerotic #ama performance, 2009."

All in all, it was great fun to 'watch' it with tweeps. @lilnerdette said it best: "really, the only reason awards shows are great is because of twitter. thank you!!!!"  Sooooooo true. Thanks all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment